Friday 4 May 2012

You are a grown up, cut it out

 
I was running slightly late this morning, due to a combination of me being a dumbarse and the wonders of San Francisco public transport.

Whilst waiting for Muni/the bus at the station, I got talking to a student in the class I TA for who was also running late. We shared our frustration with the usually shocking service and he said that he could understand the kids on skateboards and scooters who zip about campus getting to class quicker than us mere biped mortals.

Here our opinion diverged. I am prepared to go out on a limb and say that I am slowly getting used to seeing adults using skateboards as a mode of transport. To clarify, it's still not right, but I've seen so many of them that I don't feel the need to point and laugh anymore. I'm also willing to accept that it is a cultural Californian thing and that the majority of people I know have owned a skateboard.

What I will not accept is adults on those ridiculous micro-scooters. It doesn't matter if you're an idiot on one in London or an idiot on one in San Francisco, you're still an idiot.

There is nothing clever or mature about unfolding your mode of transport out of your bag. And yes, you are too big for it. And yes, being able to share is great, but with your 6 year old? I suggest you reexamine your priorities.

As far as I am concerned, adults on microscooters will always be ridiculous. And I'm counting down the days until I see someone fall off one...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment